Monday, December 12, 2011

To Begin

Yesterday was the 65th anniversary of the recognition of genocide as a human rights crime punishable by international law.  It seems hard to believe this could only be 65 years ago.  This is younger than my grandparents. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is just as young and still quite abused.  Obviously many steps forward have been taking in regards to nations looking out for human rights abuses and many NGO's such and Amnesty International work constantly to protect our rights, but there is still much that we do not see--and a lot we simply choose not to look at because it is scary or inconvenient.

Next week I leave for Poland.  I will be spending Christmas break going daily from each Nazi death camp across the country.  On Christmas Eve I will be in Lublin. On Christmas day head no to another camp.
When I tell people about my Christmas break I get various responses. Some people make jokes, others seem confused.  Many people have asked, "Why Christmas?" and I understand the remark.  Being at a place where millions of people were exterminated is sobering and humbling enough without spending precious holiday time away from family and loved ones.  But I think there is something special about the time.  Christmas and Hanukkah, or whatever holiday you may celebrate around this time, have always been a chance for reflecting on the year, on life and appreciating what you have been given.  I have been given a lot.  I have an amazing family, have attended amazing schools, and am blessed with an abundance of amazing friends.  This is one year where I can experience something different.  What's going on in the world doesn't stop just because it is Christmas, no matter how much we wish it could. Our little group of frozen Americans traveling by bus around the country will experience that along with the unity and common humanity that can be discovered by our awareness.  I think the people on this trip, only one of whom I have known before, will become another family.  Every Christmas after this I will think of my little Poland family and of all we witnessed.  Everyone knows about the Holocaust, but can they really feel the magnitude of it?  I know I do not and probably never will, but this trip will give me a glance.

I suspect I will be changed by this trip.  I'm not sure how, but I already feel different just in preparing for it. Christmas will never again be the same as it has for the last 21 years.  While this scares me, I also feel liberated by more consciousness of the world.  What happened in Europe during World World Two is over, but the consequences are still alive today.  I plan to prepare a solo performance piece based on my experiences to be performed in March or April of 2012.  Many of my ideas will be taken from what I write in this blog and how you might respond.

Note: This blog will not be solely about my experience in Poland, but the next few weeks will definitely be centered on it.

Thank you for reading.  Please visit again!

g

5 comments:

  1. Grace, you will have a very interesting time in Poland. Bring long underwear! Keep us up to date.

    Your great-grandmother Mimi Mix (your grandpa´s Mom) used to say: ¨Polska just najlepsza!¨ (Poland´s the best)

    If / when you get interested in money and stuff like that, don´t forget to visit your Uncle Bob´s blog:

    robertmixblog.blogspot.com

    See how easy it is to comment when you have a Google account? Much harder otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be Polska JEST najlepsza...

    Note that you cannot edit a comment once published... Bad spelling or no editing is a killer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, I was going to post exactly the same thing (Polska jest najlepsa, not the long underwear comment) as my Dad. Acquaint yourself with Chopin's mazurkas along the journey -- he was inspired by the Polish countryside. Can't wait to read about it over the next couples weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I finally got to post a comment. I had a nice one all loaded and ready to go until I lost it due to some finicky detail...what a pain that is...anyway, I'll try again now.

    G, what a wonderful opportunity you are about to have. And how brave of you to do this. Not "brave" in some courageous/fearless way, just "brave" in the sense that you are willing to look at the darker side of human nature, and possibly learn from it. There is no greater challenge in this life, IMHO (in my humble opinion), than to seek out, examine (through concentrated/focused thought), and then destroy (through wisdom) the attributes that disrupt peace (hatred, jealousy, anger etc....). This step/trip you take now will bring you face to face with thoughts and emotions that will challenge the boundries you have, to this date, been exposed to.

    Take these feelings/thoughts inside and examine them deeply so that you can realize their inherent qualities and their negativities/virtues. Of course don't be afraid to share these feelings with others, especially those who are along on your trip, so you can have the benefit of multiple views. This is how we get to truly "know" ourselves (through meditation and examination). This then, leads to amazing peace.

    When your Uncle and I went to Poland in 1984 I went to Aushwitz and it was a most powerful experience. I saw a darkness in life that I had not known existed and it has stayed with me since. It is a profound leason that continues to challenge my perceptions and actions, thankfully. I have come to realize that such evils run contrary to my(our) true human nature and can only/must be overcome through effort and examination.

    Sorry for the ramble. I'll finish by saying that I hope through this experience, visiting and studying the past, you will open greater access to your true, beautiful nature, that of Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gracyn, It's the day after Christmas and I have just finished reading all of your posts up to this point. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I learned so much and appreciate you making sure these people are remembered and not forgotten. I have prayed for them and pray for you and your group. Thanks again. Love, Wanda

    ReplyDelete